Better late than never, right? BlackBerry has been planning to introduce BBM in other platforms for quite some time now. We have heard rumors and seen leaks of BBM running on other platforms such as Android. According to a new report from Teknoup (via CrackBerry), we see the early revealing of BlackBerry’s release schedule.
The schedule is as follows:
- Sept 20th (Friday), 7am EST: Android version released on Google Play
- Sept 20th (Friday), 7am EST: BBM.com goes live
- Sept 20th (Friday), 7am EST: CRM messages sent out to pre-registrants
- Sept 20th (Friday), 7am EST: Follow-up CRM message sent out after full App Store release
- Sept 21st (Saturday): BBM for iOS becomes available 12:01am EST in local time zones.
From what we have seen previously, BBM for other platforms seems pretty solid, well designed and built. This is a great opportunity for those who have friends and family on the BlackBerry platform, no need to use regular text messaging anymore, which wireless carriers charge you for.
One point that does concern a lot of people is the introduction of BBM being too late. Other services such as WhatsApp, Kik, and Viber are already very popular apps that have millions of users that continuously use their services. The question that rises is that will BBM be able to pull away users from those already-popular apps? That’s a question that many analysts and investors are looking to get answered.
The app of course will be free for download. Will you download it?